The municipality of Fleury-les-Aubrais (20,690 inhabitants in 1999; 1,012 hectares) is located north of Orléans. Once a winegrowers and gardeners’ village, the city developed around the railway station built in the middle of the XIXth century.
The oldest known settlement in Fleury-les-Aubrais dates back to 1030. Monks from the St. Benoît abbey, located c. 30 km east of Orléans, cleared the forest north of Orléans and built a chapel dedicated to St. Andrew. They named the neighbouring parish Fleury-sur-Loire (Floriacum). The parish was planted with vineyards and vegetable gardens, and was known in the XIth century as Fleury-aux-Choux (chou = cabbage).
In 1857, a big railway station was built at the junction of the three lines Paris-Orléans, Orléans-Tours and Orléans-Vierzon. The station was called Les Aubrais, the name of the neighbouring hamlet. In 1907, upon request of the Municipal Council, the municipality of Fleury-aux-Choux was renamed Fleury-les-Aubrais by Presidential Decree. The population of Fleury-les-Aubrais was then 2,000. Railroad men represented more than a quarter of the active population of the city. From 20 May to 4 July 1944, Fleury-les-Aubrais was hit by five bombings aimed at the railways, which destroyed half of the city. In 1948, the city was awarded the War Cross with a Silver-Gilt Star.
After the Second World War, industrial parks were built along the railways and the railroad men’s number decreased. Fleury-les-Aubrais is today the second biggest city in the department of Loiret after Orléans.
On 23 March 1997, Fleury-les-Aubrais twinned with the city of Gračanica, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. This was the first official twinning between cities from France and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Fleury-les-Aubrais is also twinned with the Italian city of Formia. The rebuilding of Gračanica was supported by Fleury-les-Aubrais and Formia.
Fleury has two high schools – a grammar school and a mixed secondary schools, four elementary schools and a several nurseries.
The cultural life in tis town is very much centered around a new Cultural Centre opened in 2005. It has a hall for theater and musical performances, contemporary exhibition space and classrooms for music education.
Fleury – les-Aubrais also has its own local radio and a municipal magazine called “Fleury Magazine” which is a sort of photo-chronicle of the city.
SPORTS: The the most popular sports in Fleury-les-Aubrais are male and female handball, football, rugby, basketball and swimming. Athletes of the city have a plenty of indoor and outdoor sports facilities and venues at their disposal, two football stadiums and several handball and basketball courts.
The fraternization Charter between Gračanica and Fleury – les Aubrais was signed on March 22, 1997 in the Great Hall of the municipality of Fleury. On behalf of Fleury les Aubrais, the royal Charter was signed by Pier Buschet, the municipality president, and on behalf of Gračanica, the former Municipal Mayor – Mr. Muhamed Ibrahimović. The twinning ceremony between Gračanica and Fleury – les – Aubrais was also hosted in Gračanica on May 23, 1997.